Sunday, September 23, 2007

They're BACK!!!

Last year before we moved into our condo (and right before Ryan was born) we started attending our new ward. A woman came up to Pete and I at church and said that we would be future neighbors and she felt it was her duty to inform us that we had bats living in the attic of the condo we would be moving into. She said that they also had them and that the bats weren't that bad until they got into your house-just what I wanted with a new baby on the way-rabies coming into my house! We did in fact have thousands of bats living in our attic but we never had any problems with any of them getting into our house-until now. We hadn't even seen them for months until a couple of weeks ago we realized that they returned and I have been able to hear them flying around during the days-it has been creeping me out. Then Wednesday night I was the only one awake around eleven p.m. when I saw a large brown creature flying down the hallway towards me. I, of course, started freaking out and went running around the room to only be chased by the bat. I crouched in a little ball on the floor and started yelling for pete to wake up and save me from the situation. Finally he heard me and rushed downstairs. I was totally frozen (I know this picture is sounding very pathetic-but trust me it was really scary) and didn't know what to do. I finally made it upstairs and pete was able to get the bat out of the house. Then Thursday night I was washing the dinner dishes and saw another one flying down the hallway. It went into hiding for a while and finally made a reappearance so Pete and our friend Kevin could chase it out of the house. We survived the last two nights without more bats, but I am starting to feel like I live in a haunted house! I guess I can just claim that they are my Halloween decorations...

13 comments:

Jess Perry said...

Okay that is freaky! When we were down at lake powell last summer, two bats flew into our front room in our houseboat and it was the creepiest thing ever! Brooms work great and if not..duck and run for cover!

megan said...

Totally terrifying! I am so sorry! Hopefully you guys can get rid of them soon! I think that I would have done the same thing- rolled into a ball and screamed for Christian- I hate birds and bats would be even worse!

Steph said...

ok -- so can you not get someone to come in and kill all the bats --- that is super scary, especially since you don't know when or where they will be. I do like the idea though that you have free halloween decorations that are real...and hey, since ryan is a little vampire than maybe they are his friends? :) good luck getting rid of them. I hear they like to eat marshmellows.

elizabeth kartchner said...

Crazy!!
Reminds me of that Office episode!!
Anne you don't sound pathetic, I would have done the same thing!!!:)

Lyndsie Field said...

Kind of funny that your post just before this one was about Ryan being a little vampire...maybe you're on to something??!

Maurine said...

So when I got your text about the bats I thought you meant just in your attic again so I just laughed and didn't think too much about it. I didn't realize you had a real encounter with them...I would have been so scared! Do they have exterminators for bats?

heather telford photography said...

That is so scary!!! Bats are one of my worst nightmares!! You need to kill them like on "the Great Outdoors" the movie.. I loved that scene!! Good Luck with it all!! :)

meagan said...

Creepy, yet funny. We have an ant problem every once in a while and they terrify me; so I think I would be super scared of bats. Good luck. If anyone can defeat them it is you:)

Kacey said...

Scary!! I would definitely react the same way you did. One time I heard a rat in the wall and wanted to move out immediately. Fortunately, it only happened one time, but I really don't want to know what is living beneath us.....

Lindsey said...

Kev gave me a few suggestions for you, first he thought you could get some rags soaked with ammonia and put them in the attic because that is how you keep varmin away, but then we remembered our bat encounter in Austin and bat guano smells like ammonia so maybe there is a smell that bats hate. Or get a high pitch frequency that will drive them crazy and drive them out. I also hear that most animals stay away from the smell of tigers pee... I don't know how you get tigers pee.

Tiff said...

You have your own little vampire at home and now bats!!! Scary! :)

debbie rowley said...

OH MY!! I would be SO incredibly scared! Good luck getting rid of the bats!

Courtney ♥ said...

That is so crazy-just think that its Edward (maybe he can change forms). Good Luck.-love ya