Tuesday, January 22, 2008

sNoWeD iN!


Yesterday we woke up to a LOT of snow. Pete headed off to work and Ryan and I went up to a breakfast at my in-laws. We came home after breakfast so Ryan could take his nap. Shortly after he fell asleep, our power went out and our house started to get really cold. After Ryan woke up, I realized that not only did we not have power we were trapped because I didn't know how to open the garage manually. I was starting to feel a little claustraphobic in the house and so I decided Ryan and I were going to go out and play in the snow. It took over half-an-hour to get us both dressed because Ryan is SUCH a pill when it comes to getting clothes or diapers on. We finally made it outside and made it about 10 yards when I looked down and Ryan's glove was soaking wet in a pile of slush and his hand was sitting in snow. Ryan starting whimpering because he was so cold-so after lasting two minutes outside we went back in. I had to laugh at the huge effort it took to get out there and how little time we actually spent outside-I am still having to learn that with kids things don't usually go as you plan them to. Oh well, we came inside and Ryan sat and ate the dirty snow off of our boots-whatever keeps him happy!

11 comments:

Kacey said...

I love it! Playing in the snow is not as "easy" as it used to be. Getting kids dressed in all of the clothes and then they are still cold! I'm glad you got out for a little bit!

Steph said...

I had to laugh at this picture it formed in my head, of you getting him and you all bundled up....ah, i can't wait for the joys of being a parent!!! I am going to post a funny prego story soon....so watch for it!!! i miss you guys, and can't wait to see you in march!!!
xoxoxoox

megan said...

I admire you for even trying! Getting all dressed up is a huge event!! And that's crazy that you had that much snow!! Abby won't even walk on the snow. It doesn't look "normal" so she doesn't think it's safe or whatever. Boys are too funny though- wiggle worms and dirt eaters! Cute pics!

Hannah said...

This is so how it goes! I had Sam take Erica out because I didn't have the patience to get her all dressed only to have to come back inside. But, as is normally the case with Sam, Erica got dressed perfectly and played outside for about an hour. Why is it so easy for him???

Heather and Trevor said...

Poor thing! I hope that doesn't happen again! Now the question is who is more upset, you or Ryan! :) LOL Isn't being a mom full of surprises! :)

debbie rowley said...

I LOVE snow days. The snow is great and all but what I really love is what I accomplish at home when I am physically unable to leave my house! My list is always complete whenever we have a snow day and I LOVE that! Glad you guys braved the cold and headed out in the snow. We normally just stay in!

Jess Perry said...

I love it! That was such a big storm. I had to drive up to Salt Lake early on Monday morning and it was the worst thing ever. I thought I was going to die like 12 different times. But I must say...Bryn absolutely loved all the snow!

Corinne said...

I love that he ate the dirty snow off your shoes...classic little boy!! What is with UTAH and all the SNOW?

Corinne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Anne--that is sooo our experience, too. We spend probably half an hour of getting ready time for five minutes of actual play time! In our defense, it has been really, really cold, though, so the playing is only fun for a few minutes!

Ryan's such a little cutie, though. Don't you love the way they look like little marshmallow men when they're all bundled up!?

heidizinha said...

anne, i've been looking at your blog and i just wanted you to know how impressed i am with you guys, and what you've been accomplishing. really, very inspiring. makes me want to make the world a better place too.