Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Sometimes being a mom is rough...

Don't get me wrong I love my child, and being a mom and blah, blah, blah, but some days are just rough-and today was such a day. It is never a good omen when Ryan goes to bed super late the night before and then wakes up really early-and I mean hours earlier than normal. He started the day grumpy. He napped really early and not very long and then woke up with a fever (I am pretty sure his 2-year-old molars are breaking thru). I desperately needed to go to the grocery store so after the motrin and tylenol kicked in we got into the car.

He was already upset because blankie was in the washer and couldn't come on the outing with us. Ryan has been having issues riding in the cart lately but I made sure we got a "special" cart that has a little car to ride in in the front. The novelty wore off after about 5 min of being in the store and he climbed out and started screaming when I even suggested getting back in. I let him help me push the cart, but every time I would stop to put something in the cart he would start putting his own stuff in the cart and eventually just started running away from me. I decided I had had enough of that nonsense so decided it was time to force him back into the cart. Then the screaming came back and the stares started up again. I tried to laugh about the fact that everyone was looking at me and watching me struggle with my child, but in reality I was having to take deep breaths to keep myself from crying. He was hysterical and wouldn't even take an ice cream cone (which for him is HUGE). All these old ladies kept trying to offer advice over the screaming and I know they were trying to help, but in reality they were just making it worse.

I only had a few things left to get at this point so I just pushed him around while he was screaming and made sure I only looked forward to ignore the stares. He settled down right as we were checking out and we managed to survive the trip. Needless to say, I was relieved when I sat behind the steering wheel of my car but not before thoughts of selling Ryan on ebay started to cross my mind...

14 comments:

The Red Crew said...

I know i always say this, but i feel like i'm reading a biography of my life with Emmett when I read your blog. Perhaps that is why i like to read it, i don't feel so alone in my troubles with parenting. I'm really sorry about your terrible, horrible, no good experience at the store. I do have to say, those pics of him in the rain are darling; he's still pretty dang cute!

Emily said...

Oh Anne--I sooooo hear you! Sometimes I just dread grocery shopping, especially now that Jason tries to stand up every time I stop the cart. But, the alternative (letting him out to walk beside me) is 10 times worse because he thinks it's hilarious to run away from his 9-month pregnant mommy...I've gotta admit, it must look really funny to see a huge pregnant woman waddling after you at top speed (which isn't much given the waddling!) Thanks for your honesty in posting, though...sometimes I feel like the only one browsing e-bay categories..heh heh :)

Steph said...

I think this is hilarious....and i will be there too soon, which sort of scares me, since i manage to freak when little Cash even starts to get a little fussy in public places, like in church. FOr some reason, I start to panic - it doesn't bother me when he cries, but I feel like I am attracting all sorts of attention from everyone else --- anyhow i feel bad for you in the store with everyone giving advice -- as if you need any and they can possibly know what your child needs. Aw, the memories as a mother! we need to chat soon, and i can't wait to see you in a month!

Louise Durham said...

soooo been there. It definintely is rough sometimes...a lot of the times! I think our phones are handicapped! We can't seem to get eachothers messages. We need to get together!

Tiff said...

Yeah being a mom can be rough! Sounds like a fun day at the store. Can't wait for those to happen :)

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

You are such a great mother. I know I am not looking forward to the terrible twos. Ryan is very lucky to have such loving parents. I hate it when people stare at crying/screaming children. It is so inconsiderate and you are right, it just makes it worse. Well if you ever need a break, we would love to watch him so you and pete can take a date night or something. Really!

Brittany said...

Oh have I been there, unfortunately more than once. Honestly its comforting to know that its not just my kids that act like this sometimes. I hate grocery shopping and I totally know that late to bed early to rise omen...Hallie was terrible when she cut her molars.But I love the pictures of him in the rain...they are adorable.

Heather and Trevor said...

AMEN! Some days are just like that! I know that we all feel that way sometimes and especially going to the store or anywhere with a toddler can be a chore! :) You are such a great mommy though and I know it will pass! Hope you are well other than that! We haven't seen eachother for soo long! I need to stop by next time we come to visit! :)

Mark Ian Macdonald said...

I have had one of those weeks too. I went to the grocery store this morning at 7:30 so I could go alone. Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles sometimes with a two-year-old.

Kacey said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough go with Ryan. I don't know if it will make you feel better, but my kids are like that almost EVERY time we go shopping. I have learned to take deep breaths, not care what others think of the situation and tell myself that someday (haha) I will look back on this and laugh. Good luck girlie and know that you are not alone!

Julia said...

Did you know that they have day cares at some grocery stores across the country? I believe they are for just such moments. (Why don't they have them in Utah?!) Motherhood is so hard sometimes, but you are doing an amazing job with that darling little spirited boy.

megan said...

OH Anne!! I am so sorry! What a day! I love it when people try to give advice and in reality they are making it so much worse!! He will grow out of it- or at least it will become easier. It's amazing how kids can try our patience way more than anything else in life. They can seriously bring us so much joy and so much stress and misery!

Christina said...

You've earned your "Embarrassed in the Store" badge now for your Motherhood award. You are doing great though some days it doesn't feel like it.

Love, MOM

Hannah said...

Oh, I have so been there. Don't you love how people assume you're doing something wrong if your child is screaming? Sometimes, children are just devils...that's the only explanation! Sometimes, I just have to walk away from the cart and give up!