Friday, March 21, 2008

My Thursday Night Shirt and Ryan's Fat Lip



I know you are all jealous that you don't get to wear this really attractive bright yellow scout shirt-it even has patches on it-luckily for me I get to wear it every Thursday night from 7-8 pm. That is when we meet for cub scouts each week-I am the wolf den leader (that translates into having eight-year-old boys). I have had that calling for a year and am still clueless as to what I am supposed to be doing. I grew up in a family of all girls and so when they asked me to accept this calling I literally laughed out loud. I have 8 boys, but usually only have 5-6 come and last night only had three. They are a very energetic bunch and usually channel their energy into kicking and wrestling each other-it gets a little crazy and I am having to enforce some rules to actually get something done. I make sure we have lots of active events to keep their attention. Last week we learned about recycling and did relay races and last night we learned how to fold the flag and had an Easter egg hunt-thrilling isn't it! I just lost my companion and so Pete has come with me the last two weeks-it is funny to watch his face when they get crazy, esp when one of the wild ones tried to run away last night. Things are never boring at cub scouts!


This other picture happened just a little bit ago, Ryan came in from playing outside screaming with blood all over his face and within a matter of minutes he had this nice fat lip. To console him we let him watch his favorite movie-Hairspray-he loves the singing and loves to dance. He is so funny....

9 comments:

Hannah said...

I get to do the "girl" equivalent of cub scouts--Activity day with the 8-9 year olds and I can vouch for the energy of that age group! Though I must admit that with girls it translates into a lot of chattering instead of wrestling and escaping. :) It sounds like you do an amazing job!

Kacey said...

Love the shirt, Anne. I am so jealous! Ryan is looking more and more like Pete. Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Ryans favorite movies is Hairspray? Okay ... thanks for the HUGE belly laugh this evening.

Love you Nan!

xoxo

Sarah said...

I would not know what to do with scout either- I feel for you. You look way cute in your yellow shirt though, so that's a plus. Poor Ryan- do you know how he got it?

Mark said...

Oh, the memories...and about Cub Scouts, too! ;)

Way to go Anne!!

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

I am really jelous of your calling but I am especially jelous of your bright shirt. You have always been quite the trendsetter. Poor Ryan, hope the swelling goes down soon. Well at least he still looks adorable even with a fat lip!

becca said...

anne,
you are the cutest den leader i have ever seen! you even make a bright yellow scout shirt with patches look fashionable..
that calling sounds so crazy.
oh my gosh - ryan looks exactly like pete now.
you are so cute, anne. i miss you!

Heather and Trevor said...

Wow! You are amazing! I too grew up in an all girl family and would not have a CLUE what to do! P.S. The shirt is SUPER stylish! ;)
I LOVE that RYan loves Hairspray! Me too! He is too funny!

Lyndsie Field said...

i'm not going to lie...i did laugh when i saw the picture of you as scout leader! anne that is too great! you make the shirt look very cute & i'm sure you are do a great job...actually i bet all the little boys have crushes on you! :)