Thursday, July 3, 2008

Sisters Road Trip 2008

My sister Rebecca and her three kids decided instead of flying out for their 4 week vacation to Utah they were going to drive out so she could have a car. My other sister, Melissa, had been living with Rebecca in North Carolina for the last two months and they planned what I thought sounded like a really fun road trip. I figured that I may not have a chance to drive cross country in my life and after consulting with my husband I bought a one-way ticket to NC to join in the fun (he was very nice to let me leave Ryan behind). I flew to Denver had an unexpected 6 1/2 hour layover, got in to NC around 11:30 p.m. then got up and started on the road at 7:30a.m. I wish I had had more time to see where she lives in Chapel Hill because it was beautiful.

It was great because they planned one big thing to do each day to break up the drive and then we tried to stop at the most random/classic road trip places we could find-and boy did we find some winners. First stop was the Great Smokey National Forest where we had a run in with a mother black bear and her two cubs-luckily we were in the car when we saw them, but we all felt like we were in a National Geographic magazine. We spent our first night in Tennessee and woke up the next morning to head out to Graceland.

One of our first great finds was the "Old Country Store" we found along the road to Graceland-they sold everything you could dream of if you wanted to be a red neck-like these beautiful coon hats!


Graceland ended up being pretty cool-esp because I knew almost nothing about Elvis-their were some die-hard fans visiting his home that day.


For some reason I have always wanted to go to a Piggly Wiggly (mostly because I can't believe a store is REALLY named that) so my sister made special stop to fulfill my lifelong dream.


Our third day we were in St. Louis and rode to the top of the arch and walked around the museum-it was really neat. Everything we did seemed to exceed all of our expectations so it made things fun. That day we also went and ate at a World Famous bbq joint in Kansas City (my sister had done some serious research about what was the best)-it was AMAZING! We were all craving it the next day and were sad they don't have Arthur Bryant's in Utah.


Melissa wanted to run thru a cornfield, but most of them were fenced off so we took advantage of this open one...


As we drive thru Kansas, we saw signs advertising a six-legged cow at a place called Prarie Dog Town-we were sold. We knew we had to go after that-and it did not disappoint. In fact, it was one of the highlights of the trip. It is too bad in this picture you can't tell that the cow's friend had five legs.


The three kids were great, but after driving thru NC, Tennessee, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and Utah we were very glad when we drove into my mom's driveway. We all had a great time and it was fun to be able to spend some much time with two of my sisters.

21 comments:

Lindsey said...

That is awesome! I didn't expect a six legged cow to look like that, weird.

Kacey said...

What a fun trip you girls (and little boys :)) had! Thanks for sharing all of your fun pics and memories.

The Romneys said...

That would be so fun, but only with you sisters! They seem to make everything fun!

Chelsea said...

So fun, I would love to do this. Looks like you had a great time- I loved the six legged cow- very weird

Dan said...

Ann, thanks for posting some pictures. Your loser sister Rebecca hasn't posted ANY yet. And thanks again for flying all the way out to go along with the gang. You need to bring the family and visit NC for real some time.

Anonymous said...

Awwww ... that's a cute picture of the three of us! I'm so glad you came for what was a very memorable, very fun trip.

xoxo

Brittany said...

I have always wanted to do that. It sounds like so much fun. Everytime we do the road trip thing we are just trying to get there in a hurry. I think its more fun to stop and enjoy the sites along the way, plus with your sisters that makes it even better.

Heather and Trevor said...

OMIGOSH! What a fun trip! :) I am so jealous of the St. Louis arch and the Piggly Wiggly....2 places that I would also like to go! :) WHat a great memory! :)

debbie rowley said...

What a fun road trip! I am so glad you were able to spend some quality time with your sisters!

Holly Park said...

Okay--you were right about the cow. When you were describing it I just didn't picture it that way...it looks like something got stuck while giving birth.

Corinne said...

how fun! I think everyone needs to do the cross country drive at least once. I love that you stopped at the piggly wiggly...classic!

Lyndsie said...

what a fun getaway! i need to do something like that with my sisters!!

way to go on the relay!! one of these years i want to do it...looks like fun!

megan said...

First off, that race looks awesome!! A really fun thing to do with a lot of girls! You are awesome!!

Second, what a cool road trip! I love the six leg cow...that is one amazing animal!!! Fun trip with your sisters!!

Mike said...

Anne,
It's your old pal Mike. Marge found me and I found you through her blog. How's life? So do you want to be our blog friend, I hate to brag but my wife is a pretty good blogger. www.connellyfam.blogspot.com

Josh and Bam said...

Hey Anne! It's been awhile! Elle showed me your blog and I wanted to say hi! Your little boy is so cute.

mary said...

hey anne,

i found you through corinnes blog - your family is so cute. i didn't even know you and peter got married - what a cute couple you two make. love the pics and seeing what you two have been up to. . . especially liked the cow. lol. take care!
mary alisa

Courtney ♥ said...

That cow is sad to say gross. What a fun trip with your sisters-sounds like you hit some great places.

Courtney ♥ said...

Hey Anne will your sister do any photography while she is in town-I Love her work. I would love to get a photo session. Let me know.

meagan said...

I feel so bad for the cow:)! I can't believe how similar you and your sisters look- it makes me wish I had a sister.

Julia said...

That sounds like a great trip with a lot of variety. I think it's hilarious that you flew out there just to drive home--I love it.

Barb said...

I would love to go on a roadtrip with my sisters! I am so jealous! I would love to meet up sometime and catch up, I will let you know if I am ever in utah. Are you still working in dialysis? I want to hear about it. I want to start working in Colorado, but I can't decide what I want to do.