Sunday, November 18, 2007

For Emily


As many of you know, my older sister Emily (the sister in the middle of the picture), had a brain tumor removed a year and a half ago. While the surgery was successful in removing the tumor, her body had a strange reaction to the surgery. A few days after the surgery she lost her ability to talk, walk, and see and she has been fighting to regain those functions ever since. She has endured intense physical therapy and many functions have returned, but she doesn't feel completely normal. She has two young children and her only desire is to be able to care for them on her own again. She is incredible and has been such an example to all of us of strength and determination. So many people have asked what they could do to help-it is so hard to want to help knowing that the things that would really solve the problem are out of our control. Last night we had the opportunity to do something for Emily that was in our control-attend a temple session in her behalf. About 70 people gathered in the Provo temple last night and many other relatives and friends attended the temple across the United States. It was overwhelming to see the amount of support people showed my sister and family last night. It is such a bonding experience to all come together for the same purpose-It has definitely brought my family closer together and made us more grateful for the things in life we often take for granted. I can only keep praying that she will be healed and then trust in the Lord that someday it will happen. I love my sister so much and I hope with all my heart that things will get better because sometimes hope is the only thing that can get you through difficult times.

8 comments:

Jess Perry said...

What a awesome experience. I love the amazing support we have within our church and the way trials unite everyone together! I will remember your sister in our prayers and especially when we go to the temple.
I didn't know about this but what a great example your sister is of a fighter and what great determination!! What an amazing person!

Julia said...

I'm so glad that your family has found a way to make unite your prayers and faith in behalf of your sister. What a neat experience! Miracles happen everyday, and I hope that one is in store for your sister. She sounds like incredible person.

Heather and Trevor said...

I just totally started crying! You are so sweet to support her and be there for her. What a neat experience to go to the Temple with all those people! Inspiring! :)

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

What a beautiful experience that must have been. It is so hard to have to go through something like that. Ben, Jake's brother, is so lucky to be alive from his brain tumor and so greatful that Pete's dad was able to help with his surgery. I know that heavenly father answers our prayers and he will help your sister to get better. What an inspiration she is to us all.

Rebecca said...

It was an awesome experience, wasn't it? Even all the way from North Carolina!

And can I just say I HATE that picture of myself. I was so fat right after having Noah, darn it. Can you ammend your post to say, "This picture was taken 2 months after my sister Rebecca had her third baby. Which is why she looks so fat." Ha ha ha. Just kidding (not really).

Love you Annie!

Chad and Margaret Olson said...

Um first of all tell Rebecca she isn't fat! that would be me on a good day let alone after having a baby! Ok so it was such an incredible opportunity to be there for Emily, I just love her so much. I just wanted to cry when I saw her and she said "Peggy you're here!" because it just reinded me that the Emily everyone nows and loves is still here even if she's in an alterd physical state. I love your fam, you're all such great examples.

Chad and Margaret Olson said...

Um first of all tell Rebecca she isn't fat! that would be me on a good day let alone after having a baby! Ok so it was such an incredible opportunity to be there for Emily, I just love her so much. I just wanted to cry when I saw her and she said "Peggy you're here!" because it just reinded me that the Emily everyone nows and loves is still here even if she's in an alterd physical state. I love your fam, you're all such great examples.

Hannah said...

Your sister sounds amazing! I can't imagine going through something like that, and I hope that she continues to improve! Aren't we so glad for the gospel??