Sunday, November 4, 2007

I need your help...


As many of you know, my husband Peter has a non-profit organization called Vaccines for the Philippines. We do most of our work on an island called Bohol and he works with the government of that island to find out the projects that will be most beneficial to them. Two years ago, the government asked him to fund a water project that would help bring clean water to 12-14 communities in the middle of the island. The only problem is that it will cost around $100,000-$200,000 in order to complete and we have never taken on a project of that magnitude. Lately I have been feeling like I need a really good project to work on and tonight at dinner I decided that I was going to make the water project my cause. We are going to the Philippines in August of next year and anyone is welcome to come, but I really want the water project to be the humanitarian project that we work on this year. So here is where you all come in-We have never even attempted to raise that kind of money before and so we need ideas. If you have any connections to businesses that would be willing to donate, fundraiser ideas, you know how to write grant proposals, or you just want to get involved in something-I would appreciate anything you could do to help. There are a lot of Non-profit organizations that fund these kind of things it is just a matter of finding them. ANY ideas are welcome as I can only imagine that it is going to be quite the feat to raise this money!

9 comments:

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

Me dad is amazing when it comes to writting grant letters. My mom has a non-profit organizatin and she receives quite a lot from the government. I can give you his number. Also what about doing a fundraiser gala with an auction. That would be fun and you could sell "tables" or "seats" so that it fills up. Have you tried the "causes" application on facebook? There is a fundraiser link that is pretty easy to set up. Of course Jake and I would love to help! What about a few benefit concerts too?

Jake and Jessica Fillmore said...

Anne I just set up a cause link on facebook. I sent Pete the page link where people can donate directly to the organization. Its pretty neat!

Tiff said...

Wow what a great project to do! I wish I was creative but sadly I am not. But I will think up some good ideas!!!

Ash said...

I am forever impressed by you. This sounds really great and exciting. So, do you need any nurses to come along to the Phillipines??? Well, as far as ideas I got nothin. Except... What about putting on a 5K? Seems like that would be cheap to do if you had some volunteers to help. You could enlist nursing students and that way they could get their community service hours. Maybe a teacher would give extra credit and then everyone would come. I don't know how close you were to the teachers, but I know that some of them would love to help. Just a thought. I wish I was there to help. It sounds fun.

Heather and Trevor said...

I totally second the 5k OR maybe a 10K or Half Marathon idea, so that way you get all sorts of runners. I know that I have done a few of those and they seem pretty successful in the Utah area. I would be all over that helping you if you do it!

meagan said...

Raising money is never easy, we're working on $180,000 roof for PRO right now, and several new bathrooms. Peter Breinholdt did a couple of concerts for PRO when we were in UT; but all of our substantial donations (over 20K) come from individuals who are just really generous. The other great thing we have going for us is that Benj's mission president is really supportive- that adds alot of legitimacy and support, and he gets people to give money. Good luck and call if you have specific questions.

Jess Perry said...

I second the run idea. That is a great way to get people involved and motivated to donate for a good cause. I bet you could even talk to some places and get them to donate things. Like I ran a race that Timpview was putting on and they had waters, chapstick and stuff at the end of the race. All donated from places.

megan said...

I wish I was more help! I think the 5K would be great though- a lot of people just love to participate in those so I would think that it would be a great fund raiser!

PS..Hey, I'm tagging you! Share 7 random factoids about yourself!

Rules:
Link to the person who tagged you; Share 7 random facts about yourself; Tag 7 other blogg friends & leave a comment on their blog with the rules.

Have fun!

Courtney ♥ said...

My friends non-profit organization uses a toy company to help raise money. Do you remember that puzzle I gave you at Maglebys when Deb was in town. Well they throw toy parties-and get the toys at cost and the rest go to the organization. Its amazing how low the prices are and how high the quality of toys. Her last party she had over $800 of toys purchased. Check it out.